Pagliacci

E-mail me at i_am_pagliacci@hotmail.com.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

New Feature: Weekly Warm-Up

I frequent a lot of blogs (mostly tech blogs, like engadget.com and techeblog.com) and a few of them have a really cool feature called the "Warm-Up" (like nintendowiifanboy.com - oops, I'm giving away my secret passion). I'm going to modify it slightly (make it once a week instead of once a day), but the idea is the same: I post a question and everyone posts their opinion in the comments section about it. It's a neat way to see how everyone in the magic world feels about an issue.

Weekly Warm-Up: How is the Internet (blogging, Youtube, etc.) changing magic? Is it for the better or for the worse?

2 Comments:

  • At 8:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good: Sharing of performances, bringin magic to a broader audience.

    Bad: Exposure clips, magic 'performers' who perform a trick on camera for the first time and immediately post it on the web for all to see...

     
  • At 12:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The good part of it is that I can see performances and see products that I normally wouldn't see. If you're stuck in an area where you're the only magician, this can be good.

    On the other hand, I have to weed through the bad performances, attitudes, and slum magic to find the stuff I like.

    It's a double edged sword, but overall I think it's helping magic. "Magicians" bitch about exposure and all that, and to me their pissing in the wind. How did they get into magic? And if a person is really interested in magic, they'll stay with it. If a person just wants to learn secrets, they can walk into any magic shop or order online and get that info. But to the layperson, it's kind of like "that's nice", they forget it, and move on. I remember when the masked magician did a show and showed how the linking rings worked. A couple of days later I did a kids show and did the linking rings, and one of the parents told me afterward that he saw the show, and he thought that one of the rings had a gap in it. But he couldn't for the life of him figure out how I did it with three rings that didn't have gaps. Magic is about suspending belief. If we are to grow as a community, we need new blood, and the internet is a great source for that. We just have to get rid of the crap and skim the cream off the top.

    Kind of a disjointed rant, sorry about that. I'm coming off a 13 hour shift at work.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home