Pagliacci

E-mail me at i_am_pagliacci@hotmail.com.

Friday, August 12, 2005

PKrap

I've always wanted a trick that required no props, no set-up, and played big. I also wanted to make sure that the effect was not sacrificed in order for the trick to meet any of the criteria I just mentioned. I finally found that trick. I really wanted to keep this to myself and join the select legion of magicians already performing this trick, but it's just too good and I love you guys - my loyal readers - too much.

Let me just say this: the day I added this routine to my professional repertoire, my audiences were responding in a way they never had before. Now I realize that the last sentence makes most magicians cringe, so I should explain myself. Previously, I had worked very hard to be that funny, likeable magician who always had a one-liner up his sleeve. That character worked very well for me and it really was fun to interact with the spectators in that "let-me-entertain-you-and-make-you-laugh" kind of way. After adding this trick to my set, the entire tone of the set changed. Now my goal was to perform in a "let-me-guide-you-on-a-ridiculously-creepy-and-unsettling-path-of-astonishment" kinda way. It wasn't the trick itself that transformed my act; I changed my act in order to get the kind of reactions that this one trick gets from my audience, which is jaw-dropping, unable-to-speak astonishment.

I can't recommend this trick enough. Even though it's been out there for a while and on at least two older magic specials (MTV's Brainwashed and Gerry McCamridge's The Mentalist), as well as the latest episode of Criss Angel. (You know the shadow trick in the "Buried Alive" episode? This is that trick.)

Okay, I've stalled and built up the trick enough. The effect I've been raving about is Psychokinetic Touches by Banachek. The trick is - pardon my French - fucking brilliant. The effect is simple and straight forward (as Dai Vernon would have appreciated): two specators sit across from each other - you tap one and the other feels it from across the room. This is verified by the fact that the other spectator - whose eyes are closed the whole time - can specifically describe how many taps there were and where the taps occured were. There is NO stooging - he or she will SWEAR that he or she felt human taps (and, without tipping the method, he or she really does feel something). The real magic happens when everybody witnessing this miracle attempts to piece together what happened. It's fascinating and produces one of the strongest moments of astonishment I've ever seen in my spectators.

Yes, you'll read the booklet (that's right - it's just a booklet without any flashy gimmicks) and probably think, "That's it? That's the whole method?" But if you really read the whole manual and really pay careful attention to the psychological subtlety involved, you'll have one of the most amazing miracles on your hands you could ever perform. Oh yeah, and it's only $8.64. That's right - a friggin' miracle that you can do whenever you want and it's under $10. Really, guys, you should be ordering this right now.





See? You can write a positive review on a magic blog!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home