Pagliacci

E-mail me at i_am_pagliacci@hotmail.com.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Rest in Crap / Surviving Crap

Just to give you an idea about where the current magic blogging community is heading, here's a list of magic blogs that have folded (I define folding as "haven't posted in at least a month or two if not longer/declared dead by the blog's author"):

- A Magician's Journey
- Cardopolis
- Comrade Conjuror
- Escamoteurettes
- Freely Mental
- High on Magic
- I Saw Scott
- Magic Circle Jerk
- Magic Hurts
- Magic Interviews
- Magia Libre
- Magic Mafia (3 times)
- Magic Meta Belog
- Magic Monitor
- Magic ReBlog (oh wait... just wishful thinking)
- Magic Watch (which, coincidentally, started out as an anti-Pagliacci blog)
- Magic Whack (2 times)
- Magician X
- Man in a Boy's World
- Phantom Notebooks
- Public Access Blog
- Real Magic Reviews
- Ruses
- Sarcastic Magician
- Wizards Ball

Here's a list of the blogs that are still around (I'm not including commercial blogs like those run by magic stores):

- Coming Through the Haze
- Glenn Bishop's blog (although he's folded 3 of his own blogs already)
- I, Magician (although it died briefly when Andy joined Magic Mafia, but was resurrected after Magic Mafia's 2nd death)
- In My Opinion
- Intensely Magic
- MagicEnigma (although if you read the last few posts, the blog is approaching death)
- MagiCentric (which was formed after Magic Rants was folded)
- Magic, Illusion, and Data Management (does it count on this list if a third of the blog is supposed to be about "Data Management"?)
- Magic Spank
- Magic Unlimited
- Magic Utopia
- Pagliacci
- Peacelove's Musings
- Phantom Notebooks
- Why Am I Stuck in Magician Hell?

So, out of the 40 magic blogs created since the beginning of the blogging revolution, only 15 remain. In other words, about 2 out of every 3 magic blogs started has folded by now.

[Quick note: the percentage of blogs that have survived - 37.5% - may actually be higher than it should. I was able to create a list of folded blogs by looking at blogs' blog rolls and seeing which links were dead or linked to dead blogs. However, this method relies on bloggers not updating their blog rolls enough. Also, trying to find things that no longer exist can be difficult. Therefore, the real number is probably more like 10-25%.]

Why did I compile such a list? First, it's time somebody acted as a sort of magic blog historian - this list is a tiny first step in the right direction. Second, it's to show you how crazy this fickle world of magic blogging is. I've been around for longer than any blog on the living list (except for MagiCentric and Coming Through the Haze), so I'm really thankful to all of my readers who have stuck around this long. As I've said before, you ain't seen nothin' yet!

4 Comments:

  • At 4:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Aahh... Finally worked out the comments system ...

    For a current status of the magic blogsphere you may want to visit Magicforge Tracker. Just one of my little experiments that may be of interest.

    regardz,

    pdjamez, blogging at Magicforge Blog

     
  • At 3:26 PM , Blogger Mr Whack said...

    F-in shame about that magicwhack though.

     
  • At 8:47 PM , Blogger Trickster said...

    What? no link? I'm shocked ;)
    A third of my title may be data management but I am definately a magic blog, Data Management is a reference to my work/other interest. I guess those who read it know (yep all 3 of them )

    You do realise that collecting information on current and past blogs and their history, and presenting it, IS data management :)

    Very strange treatment Pagliacci, did you read my blog before you wrote that and decided not to link?

    Regards
    Brendan

     
  • At 2:37 AM , Blogger Trickster said...

    weehee I'm linked LOL

    Nice Blog by the way, I'm one of those loyal readers you refer to.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home